My Favorite Part of Quilting

My Favorite Part About Quilting is When You Take A Piece of Fabric and Make it into Something Beautiful.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Attic Windows Wall Hanging - Halloween

If you cannot tell from all my previous posting I am just IN LOVE with Red Rooster fabrics this season. I love the soft colors and simply adorable novelty prints. My husband likes the fabrics also so it is a win win all around.
This quilt is a result of a class I took at PQ a few months back with Alice. Her sample was just beautiful with an Asian inspired print. I almost didn't take the class because it looked way too difficult for me. Alice encouraged me to take the class and I am so very happy that I did.  
Alice also helped me pick out the fabric. I knew I wanted to complete the wall hanging using Halloween fabrics but I did not see any that really spoke to me. Alice suggested I use this Red Rooster panel. I was a little nervous about cutting the panel up because I was afraid that you would lose the overall feel of the scene. Alice said that it would be like a "Picasso Tree" and she was right. As the quilt started to come together I just fell in love!!!!

 To create the attic window effect I needed to create templates using freezer paper. Alice walked us through the process step-by-step helping us minimize any mistakes along the way. I was surprised at how easy the quilt was once I got the hang of it. The templates we created also helped to create the beautiful mitered corners.
 What I like most about this quilt is that they way that the fabric gives each block a 3D feel. It really feels as if you are looking through a window. I think it is just such a cool effect!
 Once the quilt was together I had to decide how to quilt it. I decided to try some outline quilting, which is something that is very challenging for me. I worked very slow on my machine attempting to create this shadow type look. For this being my first time quilting this way I am pretty happy with the results.
I was so happy with this quilt that I have already began purchasing fabric for a winter themed quilt. I would like to create a similar wall hanging for each season for my house. Thanks to all the girls who helped me make this quilt possible.

Much Love & Happy Sewing,
- The Mad Quilter

No comments:

Post a Comment