My Favorite Part of Quilting

My Favorite Part About Quilting is When You Take A Piece of Fabric and Make it into Something Beautiful.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Fall Inspired Slice & Dice

The fall is my favorite time of year. I just love the cold crisp air, the apples, pumpkins, the changing of the leaves, the smell, everything...and it all reminds me of Daddy.

This year I took great comfort in my fall projects because they somehow made me feel closer to my Daddy. This was his favorite time of year also. When I think about this time of year I think about him all dressed up in his camos for hunting and helping my mom smoke our Thanksgiving turkey. He would be walking around all excited about that turkey for weeks...I really miss that.


It felt good to use so many of the colors of the fall that I just love and bring them into my living room. This quilt came from a class I took in Spring with Alice at PQ. To complete this project I needed matching fat quarters. I ordered a Red Rooster fat quarter bundle online. When it arrived I was a bit disappointed in the fabrics. They just appeared so dull to me. When I was in the class I was admiring all the women with bright and beautiful colors, especially women working with holiday novelty prints, my favorite. So I told myself that I can always make the quilt again in a different color story in the future. When the summer came I put this project away to work on other things.

After school started back up I was in the mood to transform my living room into fall. I took my slice and dice quilt out of the closet and starting working with it again...within an hour or so I absolutely fell in love with it!!!!
The colors remind me of a harvest market and I just love how the brown piping frames the colors so beautifully. When it was all together I could not believe how easy it was to complete.
The next challenge was how to go about quilting it. It took me a few days to figure out exactly how I wanted the finished quilt to look. I decided to do stippling throughout the entire quilt. I just love after a quilt is washed and it has that almost wrinkled look. I wanted to recreate that with this quilt.

Free motion quilting is something that I am very new at and I am still practicing. Its most difficult to make the stipples all the same size. Nevertheless this quilt has quickly become my absolute favorite. It became the inspiration for my entire living room!!!!!
Happy Fall...even in Heaven,
- The Mad Quilter

No comments:

Post a Comment