My Favorite Part of Quilting

My Favorite Part About Quilting is When You Take A Piece of Fabric and Make it into Something Beautiful.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

My Godson has made me a better person

A little less than 1 month before my father passed away my cousin Connie (his niece and goddaughter) and her husband Steve welcomed little Timothy Stephen into the world. Named after Connie's father Timothy and the first boy on the Fanelli side since my father he has enriched our lives beyond measure. Daddy was so excited to have Timothy in our lives and had a chance to meet him one week before he went into the hospital. After he passed I was so honored to be asked to be Timothy's Godmother (we call me Fairy Godmother) because this little guy is so special to so many people. Since he came into our lives he has made myself and my husband Benjamin better people. My hubby will be an amazing father one day.

So as his Godmother I think that it is important that I help my cousin keep my father's memory alive. I decided that one of the best ways to do this is through my quilting. The Babylock Benjamin got me for Christmas is my favorite gift ever! I have been using it to embroider oneses and Tees for lil Timothy. I try to find images that remind me of Daddy like the deer on the right. Daddy loved hunting and fishing. He always said his favorite animal was a deer which I never understood because he hunted them but what do I know. Embroidering the oneses is a little challenging but I think I got the hang of it toward the end. I was so happy when Connie said Timothy was in need of short sleeve oneses.

Daddy was also very into his Harley Davidson Fatboy. It was his pride and joy in life even though he worked so much that he did not get to enjoy it so much and it gave us all heart failure when he rode it. He used to love to ride on Sound Avenue out east passed Lewin's Farms (which he loved) and Briermere Farms (which he also loved, there Blueberry Cream pie was Daddy's favorite). We actually find a cute little Catholic Cemetery very close to Sound Avenue for Daddy. We know he just loves it.

So when I found this design I knew I had to use it on something for Timothy. Although I don't think he will be allowed to ride a Harley like his Uncle Peter anytime soon.


My cousin Connie is a diehard Yankee fan and so was my father. One of Daddy and Connie's best memories is when Connie took him to Yankee Stadium to sit right behind the Yankee dugout. Daddy had every single snack he could; popcorn, nuts, hotdogs, etc. He was never one for words and he was always a bit of a grump but I think that this is one of Daddy's favorite memories with Connie. I can remember Daddy watching (and cursing at) the Yankees from as long as I can remember. Little Timothy is also a Yankee fan like his Mama. I wanted to incorporate this into his gift as well. In addition to personalizing this cute little Tee I got at TJ Max I made him this bib. The quote was inspired by a picture Connie put up of Timothy earlier. The bib was a big hit.

Becoming a Fairy Godmother has been a major milestone in my life. I am so honored to have been chosen for this from among all the people who hold Timothy in their heart. I take my job very seriously and I want Timothy to always know that Benjamin and I will always be here loving and supporting him. I believe that one of the most important jobs I have is to teach Timothy about his uncle Peter and how much he loves him. In his entire hospital stay Timothy's picture was close by. Daddy was so proud.

Although we cannot bring Daddy back it is our job to keep his memory and love alive in our lives. I know he visits often and keeps us safe.

Happy Quilting

-The Mad Quilter

No comments:

Post a Comment